Getting cabin fever? Sick of staying indoors and watching the rain fall down? Fed up of feeling cold? I'm with you. Sometimes, it seems like this winter is going to last forever – we've just had our ninth storm of 2016! But instead of waiting for Spring to arrive, why not make the most of the colder months? That’s my plan. When you think about it, there are actually some things that make winter one of the most beautiful seasons. Today, I thought I’d share some inspiration from my own list on some of the best things to do before Spring.
1. Master a hot chocolate recipe. I love going out for a warm hot chocolate (the M&S café is my favourite), but I’ve always wanted to try a recipe too. My biggest issue is worrying that it won’t taste as good. But if I can master it before spring, then next winter I’ll be on a roll!
2. Give my bedroom a deep clean. I don’t know what it is about a new season that gives me the urge to clean. Before Christmas I gave my room a complete sort out and when I'm off next week I might do it again. The smell of things being clean really screams Spring to me.
3. Have a film marathon. Truth be told, I'm a real homebody. I like getting dressed up and going out, but I love cosying up at home even more. Tom and I have a list of films to watch so I'm gonna’ suggest that we book a weekend to tick them off the list.
4. Colour your hair. With the weather getting brighter and warmer, it’s the perfect time to add a bit of colour to your hair too. Next week my hairdresser is coming to do me an Ombré style, where I'm getting a caramel shade put towards the ends of my hair. I can’t wait!
5. Get wrapped up and go on a long walk. There’s still time to get bundled up in your favourite coat, wear your new hat, put your favourite boots on and go for a walk. You’ll be surprised how much the icy air can brighten up your skin.
6. Find some spring recipes. We've been having warm stews, casseroles and pasta bakes for months now. But with a new season on the way, I'm on the hunt for some lighter and brighter dishes. Pasta and rice are always welcome!
7. Plan a holiday. I know it’s only spring, but who’s to say you can’t look forward to summer? Now is the perfect time to get your holiday sorted. Tom and I did this on Monday – we've booked a long weekend in Dublin at the start of June and we’re hoping to do another long weekend later in the year too.
8. Bake. There’s always an excuse to bake. Especially with Valentine’s Day coming up! I'm planning on baking up some Valentine’s themed biscuits on Saturday.
9. Get some snaps of the first snowdrops. When I was out in the garden the other day I noticed the first signs of snowdrops. That definitely requires a photo.
10. Visit a farmers market. This is becoming a weekend habit of mine and Tom’s. There are so many around, you can visit a different one each time.
11. Keep your feet warm in layers of comfy socks. Because it’s always your feet that feel the chill the most.
12. Go out for breakfast. I’ll have a full English please ;)
13. Sit in your home with just candles as light. Our house at the moment is filled with candles. There’s nothing I love more than watching a film in candlelight.
14. Stay up all night reading an amazing book. Make a brew, get some snacks, get cuddled up and escape into another world. I’ve got a few old classics to read on my list.
15. Buy some pieces to update your wardrobe. Let’s face it – you never need an excuse to update your wardrobe.
16. Spend a whole day in your dressing gown. If you don’t need to go out and you’ve got a full day of blog work planned, treat yourself by doing it in your dressing gown. You never know, it might make you more productive!
17. Make a huge bowl of chili to last you for days. Because chili <3
18. Spend an afternoon in front of a real fire. We've had a wood burning fire at home for years and I really want one when I get my own house. It’s one of the first things that comes to my mind when I think about winter.
19. Try a new workout. No harm in switching up your workout routine, right?
20. Sleep in. That’s what winter is all about.
21. Have a pampering day. Run a bubble bath, use a conditioning mask, paint your nails – the works.
What have you got planned before Spring arrives? Will you take away any ideas from this list?